- April is Sexual Assault Awareness Month April 2, 2014
Sexual Assault Awareness Month (SAAM 2014) is an annual collaborative effort coordinated by the Carolina Women’s Center and Student Wellness. Throughout the month of April, organizations including Project Dinah, SWAG, Siren, Sigma Phi, the UNC Men’s Project, Celebration of Black Womanhood, the Orange County Rape Crisis Center, and more organize a number of ... Read more »
- Students examine gender roles to prevent violence What does it mean to be a man?
It’s a question that has been on Jordan Hale’s mind for years. As a kid, he didn’t have many male role models – the people who made a positive impact on his life were mostly women, as most of his close friends are now. Read more
Read more »
- Title IX Concerns presented to Vice President Biden by Katie Akin
When Katie Akin talks, Vice President Joe Biden listens. That’s because Akin – a graduate student member of the UNC Title IX Task Force – was invited to sit at the table next to the vice president on Tuesday (Feb. 18) at the first “listening session” of the White House Task Force to Protect Students ... Read more »
- Title IX Task Force agrees on panels without students Dec. 17, 2013
At the end of their last meeting of 2013, Title IX Task Force members took two key votes on how student sexual misconduct cases should be decided in the future. They approved adjudication panels, as opposed to individual judges, and they agreed that these panels shouldn’t include students as members.
“I don’t think students ... Read more »
- Kallem named Title IX Compliance Coordinator Howard Kallem has been appointed as the University’s new Title IX Compliance Coordinator, effective Jan. 2, 2014. A recognized expert in Title IX compliance, Kallem was selected to fill the position following a national search.
He is currently Chief Regional Attorney of the District of Columbia Enforcement Office for the U.S. Department of Education’s Office for ... Read more »
- FORMAL NOTICE: Title IX Compliance Coordinator Dear Carolina Community:
I am pleased to inform you that Howard Kallem has been appointed as the University’s new Title IX Compliance Coordinator, effective January 2, 2014. Howard was selected to fill this critically important position following a national search.
Howard is a recognized expert in Title IX compliance. He is currently Chief Regional Attorney of the ... Read more »
- A message from Student Body President Lambden Campus email sent to all students, Sept. 4, 2013
In the last academic year, many students, faculty and staff expressed dissatisfaction with the University’s response to sexual harassment and misconduct. Over the last six months, the University has gathered feedback from the campus community to address those concerns. Based on that information, the University has taken ... Read more »
- Title IX Coordinator open forums Updated Sept. 12, 2013
Revised Schedule for Title IX Coordinator Forums
FROM: Title IX Coordinator Search Committee
The Title IX Coordinator Open Forum that was scheduled for Wednesday, Sept. 18, has been cancelled due to one of the candidates withdrawing from the process. The remaining open forum for this position will be held tomorrow, Friday, Sept. 13, from ... Read more »
- Hurt updates Employee Forum about work of task force August 20, 2013
Sexual harassment and assault in the workplace has long been a concern among members of the Employee Forum.
In 2008, for example, the group passed a resolution in support of the University taking proactive steps to increase awareness about the issue. Read more
Read more »
- Title IX Task Force develops training, protocols campus-wide August 20, 2013
The Title IX Task Force will continue to hammer out changes in the University’s harassment and discrimination policy this fall, but several changes outside the policy process have already been put into effect. Read more
Read more »
- INFORMATIONAL: SAVE THIS EMAIL (Important Title IX contact information) Aug. 20, 2013
Greetings Carolina Community,
Welcome back to campus and to the start of the fall semester. As we begin classes this week, we wanted to reinforce our message about our Title IX Team and available campus resources and reporting options for community members. We are committed to gender equity on campus; the elimination of harassment ... Read more »
- Message from the Chancellor: Update on Outside Review of Retaliation Allegation Dear Students, Faculty and Staff:
In March, we commissioned an independent, outside review following public allegations that the University retaliated by bringing an Honor Court charge against a student based on statements made about our response to sexual assault incidents and issues on campus.
We want to share new information with you about the results of this ... Read more »
- Task force on sexual assault policy starts summer job Task force on sexual assault policy starts summer job
Twenty-two members of the Carolina community have taken on a summer job to improve the way the University responds to sexual misconduct. The new Title IX Task Force, led by interim Title IX Coordinator Christi Hurt, met for the first time May 15 at the Friday Center.
The ... Read more »
- Task force reviews process for student complaints of harassment, sexual misconduct, discrimination Task force reviews process for student complaints of harassment, sexual misconduct, discrimination
Updated May 16, 2013, to include information about 22nd member of the task force.
The University has created a 22-member task force to review and enhance its policies and procedures for handling student-on-student complaints of harassment, sexual misconduct or discrimination.
Ann Penn, the University’s Equal Opportunity/ADA ... Read more »
- Chancellor Thorp Announces New Title IX Position April 16, 2013
Message from Chancellor Thorp: Announcement On New Title IX Coordinator Position
Dear Students, Faculty and Staff:
As we continue our campus conversation about the issue of sexual assault, I want to update you on the positive steps the University is taking to strengthen our policies and procedures and expand the resources available to students.
An important ... Read more »
- Sexual Assault Awareness Month 2013 INFORMATIONAL: Sexual Assault Awareness Month 2013
April 1, 2013
Sexual Assault Awareness Month (SAAM 2013) kicks off on Monday, April 1st with The Clothesline Project at UNC. This is a display that will be up in Polk Place and that consists of clotheslines strung across the quad with t-shirts designed by survivors of sexual violence used to ... Read more »
- “From the Dorm Room to the Boardroom: Sexual Misconduct Affects Everyone” (opinion-editorial column, The Daily Tar Heel, Published April 1, 2013) From the Dorm Room to the Boardroom: Sexual Misconduct Affects Everyone
opinion-editorial column, The Daily Tar Heel, Published April 1, 2013
During the two months I have spent on the Carolina campus, I have been impressed with the cross-section of the community that has fully and openly engaged in conversation about the issues surrounding sexual misconduct. ... Read more »
- National Expert Guiding Campus Conversation Briefs Trustees on Sexual Assault National Expert Guiding Campus Conversation Briefs Trustees on Sexual Assault
Cases of sexual assault and misconduct are not like other cases. They are grossly under-reported and usually there is significant lag time between when an incident occurs and when authorities are notified.
An estimated 30 percent of sexual assault and misconduct incidents are reported. That figure drops ... Read more »
- UNC to suspend Honor Court proceeding pending external review of retaliation claim UNC News Release
March 26, 2013
UNC to suspend Honor Court proceeding pending external review of retaliation claim
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill Chancellor Holden Thorp today (March 26) announced that the student-led Honor System has been asked to suspend an Honor Court proceeding involving a student who has spoken out about sexual assault issues on ... Read more »
- University announces campus security program review UNC News Release
March 22, 2013
University announces campus security program review
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill Chancellor Holden Thorp today (March 22) announced that the U.S. Department of Education’s Clery Act Compliance Division will conduct a program review to evaluate how the campus has complied with the federal law.
The University was notified of the program ... Read more »
- University releases response to OCR seeking data, information UNC News Release
March 22, 2013
University releases response to OCR seeking data, information
The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill today (March 22) publicly released the response submitted March 21 to a request from the U.S. Department of Education Office for Civil Rights (OCR) asking for information and data including campus responses to sexual assault and ... Read more »
- University responds to OCR request for data, information UNC News Release
March 21, 2013
University responds to OCR request for data, information
The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill today (March 21) responded to a request from the U.S. Department of Education Office for Civil Rights (OCR) asking for information and data about campus responses to sexual assault and sexual violence cases.
The University is cooperating ... Read more »
- Smith leads campus conversation about sexual assault to engage, educate University community University Gazette
March 19, 2013
Smith leads campus conversation about sexual assault to engage, educate University community
Carolina’s ongoing conversation about sexual assault and how to improve the way it is addressed is reaching every corner of campus. Because the issue affects the entire University community, developing a solution calls for engaging everyone on campus, said Gina Maisto ... Read more »
- Key Facts, FAQ, Background on Sexual Assault Complaints, Reporting Options, Campus & Community Resources & the Honor System Key Facts, FAQ, Background on Sexual Assault Complaints, Reporting Options, Campus & Community Resources & the Honor System
The University has published a new resource on the Campus Conversation on Sexual Assault website to provide information about a wide range of issues affecting students.
The new posting covers the following:
Key Facts: How the University Handles Sexual Assault
Students ... Read more »
- Faculty reaffirm commitment to safe, inclusive campus community Faculty reaffirm commitment to safe, inclusive campus community
At its March 8 meeting, the Faculty Council unanimously reaffirmed its commitment to a safe and inclusive campus community that supports individuals’ rights to learn and work in at atmosphere of fairness, equity and access to employment and educational programs.
“We strongly support campus, local and state efforts to ... Read more »
- Message from the Chancellor: Continuing the Campus Conversation About Sexual Assault March 8, 2013
Message from the Chancellor: Continuing the Campus Conversation About Sexual Assault
Dear Students, Faculty and Staff:
The conversation on campus surrounding sexual assault is growing louder and more passionate. Let’s talk about it.
To make meaningful changes that will improve how sexual assault is addressed at Carolina, we must have an open and honest dialogue.
Those conversations ... Read more »
- University receives notification, data request letter from OCR March 6, 2013
University receives notification, data request letter from OCR
The U.S. Department of Education Office for Civil Rights (OCR) has notified the University that it will investigate a discrimination complaint filed in January with its District of Columbia office. The complainants have made allegations about the University’s response to sexual assault and sexual violence cases. ... Read more »
- Help make UNC a safer place by speaking up Letter to the Editor
The Daily Tar Heel
March 6, 2013
Help make UNC a safer place by speaking up
As the representatives of the faculty, staff and students of the University we want to jointly speak on the recent series of events surrounding sexual assault allegations at the University.
Let us make one thing clear from the outset: We ... Read more »
- New Compliance Officer/Investigator To the Carolina Campus Community:
I am pleased to announce the appointment of Jayne Grandes as an Investigator in the Equal Opportunity/ADA Office. She joined the Office on March 4, 2013. This position serves as the primary Investigator for complaints of harassment, sexual misconduct and discrimination made by
students, faculty and staff pursuant to all applicable University ... Read more »
- Revamping the policy Students should engage in sexual assault dialogues on campus
The Office of Civil Rights submitted a “Dear Colleague” letter in April 2011 with about 70 mandates for the adjudication of sexual assault cases on university campuses across the nation. In response, UNC-CH released a new sexual assault policy on Aug. 1, 2012.
University administrators received feedback from ... Read more »
- UNC is committed to a fair, respectful process TO THE EDITOR:
In the past few days, there have been a number of media stories about a complaint filed with the U.S. Department of Education’s Office for Civil Rights challenging our campus response to allegations of sexual assault.
I have not seen the complaint. I understand that the Office for Civil Rights received the complaint and is in ... Read more »
- INFORMATIONAL: Deputy Title IX Officer/Student Complaint Coordinator To the Carolina Community:
I am pleased to announce the appointment of Ew Quimbaya-Winship (EW) as the Deputy Title IX Officer/Student Complaint Coordinator reporting to the Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs. This position will serve as the primary point of contact to advise students and receive reports of harassment or discrimination against students pursuant to all ... Read more »
- Officials stand by UNC’s reporting of sexual assault cases Vice Chancellor and General Counsel Leslie Strohm told the University Board of Trustees on Jan. 24 that the allegations that her office under-reported sexual assault cases “are false, they are untrue and they are just plain wrong.” Read more at the University Gazette…
Read more »